Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Lab 2: Reality Check

Going into Lab 2 I was both excited and nervous.  I was excited in that it was my first chance to work hand in hand with the kids as their instructor, but nervous in that I was doing it by myself.  While I did have my TA Matt with me, who helped me tremendously, I was without my fellow group members who had their conference swim meet.  So, it was up to me to step up.


Before anything, my first task, along with all others not assigned to directing the group, was to observe and asses during the opening activity of the first graders.  Two students, a boy and girl, were chosen by Dr. Yang to be assessed.  The games that were played were tag games, but involved all three skills we were to look at: run, gallop, and hop.  In assessing it was clear that while not perfect, the students lived an active lifestyle in that they did the three skills fairly well.  The boys seemed to be very coordinated and had just a couple flaws in his technique.  The girl was not far behind, with just a few things that if given time to concentrate on could definitely be changed for the better.  The group running the activity did a great job choosing games to show these skills effectively.  


From there it was time to work the the Pre-K group in their play rooms.  This was easy enough.  I got to enjoy playing legos with a little girl who was building a telescope, a little boy who seemed fascinated moving the blocks on the wires of the toy that is often found in doctor's offices waiting areas, and much much more.  It is really interesting to see how captivated kids can be when they use their imagination with simple toys.  When I sat down to play toy cars with a little boy he explained to me that the big tractor was on its way to the farm to collect the hay to feed the cows so that they can provide milk for the family.  I was shocked that a child that age could connect all those dots to a simple toy tractor. 


In the other play room, where the toy kitchens are set up, children are always playing "house."  When I asked to play one of the girls was adamant that I was too big, but another said I could be the "soccer coach" so I sat and showed them how to kick properly using a toy tomato.  When it was time for me to read to the class I asked one of the girls to pick out a book.  She picked out a "Bob the Builder" book but when I asked the class if they were ready to sit on the rug and listen to me read no one was interested.  I did not know what to do since I figured they would just come over, so I simply went back to playing with them. 


Since I was not aware I had to bring my own supplies for my craft, I was 0-2 going into the gym, my last shot.  As I set up my game Dr Yang had me explain it to him and when I finished he asked, "Ok that will last about 1 minute, what else do you have?"  I was floored at this pessimism, but went to the supply closet to think of a game regardless.  Well, he was right.  After my warm up of follow the leader lasted about 2 minutes, my featured game which involved the capturing of opposing bean bags didn't get passed the instructions.  It also did not help that a group of girls decided to rebel and while I attempted to give instructions they chanted, "We're not playing! We're not playing!" over and over again in unison.  This certianly through me for a loop.  I then made the mistake of bringing out the bean bags first and when the students got sight of that it was over.  Any hope of getting their attention was lost, they were 100% focused on obtaining a bean bag.


While the second game went a little more smoothly, I quickly ran out of ideas.  I then was told by Dr. Yang to ask them what they want to do, and when they said tag I was so relieved.  I finished up with tag and I was done.


During reflection I felt real down.  I was shocked at how different everything was druing the real thing.  The kids are much more wound, have a smaller attention span, and are less cooperative than anything I could have imagined.  However after given praise from Dr Yang and my peers fro sticking it out and not giving up I reached a somewhat of an epiphany.  This is what its all about.  If it was easy, everyone would be great PE teachers.  That is not the case.  Now I know I have to work harder, be better prepared, and must stick to it no matter how difficult it gets.  At first I looked at the day as discouraging, now I see it as enlighting and eye opening.  It was a real reality check.


Check out my Lab 2 for more info on how the day went.


Stay funky everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment